(800) 622-2640 REQUEST INFO

My Status


At Stevens-Henager College, we help international students understand their immigration responsibilities and stay on top of their immigration details.


While studying in the United States, it is important to maintain your student immigration status. For more information, visit this link.


The Student and Exchange Visitor Program (SEVP) is the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) program that administers the Student and Exchange Visitor Information System (SEVIS). For more information, visit the official SEVP and SEVIS website.

Frequently Asked Questions About SEVIS:

Staying in good status

To maintain status, you must abide by the school’s policy and SEVP regulations.
For our school’s policy, please read the catalog. Basically, you must be enrolled in a full course of study, you can’t have more than one absence per module, and you must stay current with your financial plan.
For SEVP regulations, please read this webpage. Basically, you must enter the United States no more than 30 days before your program start date, you must check in with your designated school official (DSO), and you must make good academic progress.
Failure to maintain status will result in a visa termination, and you will have to return to your home country.
If you are experiencing academic, financial, or personal difficulty that may prevent you from maintaining good status, don’t wait! Seek an appointment with your student advisor or your DSO to discuss your issue. We are here to help you be successful.

Change of status

If you currently hold a U.S. visa that doesn’t allow you to study, you will need to apply for a change of status at the USCIS Service Center.
We will be happy to assist you in the process. The first step to change status to an F-1 visa is to get admitted in your program. You will then fill out Form I-539.
Note: Students with F-2 or B1/B2 visas are not allowed to start their studies until USCIS approves their change of status.

Transferring schools

Transfer in: To transfer into our school, you will first need to apply for your program. Along with your acceptance letter, we will provide you with a SEVIS transfer form that you will need to give to your DSO at the transfer-out school and request the transfer.
Please make sure you understand the transfer-out policy of your current school before initiating your transfer.
Transfer out: If you decide to transfer out of our school, please seek an appointment with your advisor. Your advisor will go over the school’s transfer policy.

Travel and reentry

  • Travel for 14 days or less: Please contact your DSO for a travel endorsement. Please coordinate with your instructors regarding assignments and/or assessments.
  • More than 14 days: Please fill out the request for leave of absence form. The international student office (ISO) and your instructors will review your request and follow this process:
    • Upon approval, we will drop you from school and terminate your I-20 for authorized early withdrawal.
    • Once you are in your home country, we will contact SEVIS to request reactivation of your record.
    • We will send you your reactivated I-20 via FedEx.
    • To reenter the United States, you will need your valid passport and visa, your Form I-20 with travel endorsement, evidence of your financial resources, your transcripts or tuition receipts, and the name and contact of your DSO.


As an F-1 student, you can bring your dependents to the U.S. while you are studying.
You must provide proof of additional financial resources ($8,000 per dependent), a copy of your dependent’s valid passport, and their marriage certificate and/or birth certificate.
For more information, visit this webpage.

SEVIS registration form

Filling out this form is mandatory for updating your information in SEVIS. After completing and signing the form, please submit it directly to the ISO or attach it in a message.
  • SEVIS registration form

    Filling out this form is mandatory for updating your information in SEVIS. After completing and signing the form, please submit it directly to the ISO or attach it in a message below.


Stevens-Henager College admits students of any race, color, and national or ethnic origin.