There are many companies in Utah that employ healthcare workers—it’s a fast-growing sector of the state’s economy. But which employers are the best?
We’ve compiled a list of Utah’s top healthcare employers, some based on size, some on being named in various lists of top companies, or top companies to work for, with the two largest at either end of the list.
One Company with Employees across the Spectrum of Healthcare Degrees
University of Utah Health –
Ranked #35 on Forbes’ “America’s Best Employer” list, 2018. With 9,000 employees in a wide range of disciplines from dentistry and optometry to heart surgery, there is much opportunity for healthcare workers here, and for administrators and support staff. Departments include:
- University of Utah Hospital
- University Orthopaedic Services
- University Neuropsychiatric Institute
- Huntsman Cancer Institute
- John A. Moran Eye Center
- Ray and Tye Noorda Oral Health Sciences Building (School of Dentistry)
Home Health, Hospice, and Residential Treatment
Brighton Home Health and Hospice -
Recognized by the Salt Lake Tribune
, Brighton specializes in home healthcare and end-of-life care. They hire RNs, LPNs, CNAs, social workers, and substance abuse counselors. Brighton Recovery Center
treats dual-diagnosis patients—those with both an addiction and a mental illness.
Three Staffing Agencies
Not everyone wants to work long-term at the same company. Staffing agencies provide an opportunity to try lots of different locations, or even different parts of the country.
- Headquartered in Midvale with more than 1,300 employees in Utah, CHG specializes in healthcare staffing, particularly rural healthcare. CHG claims credit for coining the term locum tenens
to describe traveling doctors and other medical professionals it sends out across the country on short- and long-term assignments.
Supplemental Health Care
- Won Best of Staffing 2018 for both client satisfaction and talent satisfaction. Supplemental Health Care provides staffing for nurses, both traveling and local, and for allied occupations, including physical and occupational therapists and their assistants, as well as speech language pathologists.
- Listed #30 in the 2014 Deseret News
“Top 50 Companies to Work for in Utah” list, Mednax provides services nationwide in anesthesia, prenatal and neonatal care (includes hearing screening for newborns), nursing, sonography, and more, including physicians and other areas. Mednax also provides managerial, IT, and billing/coding/collections staff.
Companies on the R&D and Sales Side of Healthcare
Usana Health Sciences
- Listed #17 in the 2014 Deseret News
“Top 50 Companies to Work for in Utah” list, Usana develops nutritional supplements focusing on cellular health.
- Listed #45 in the 2014 Deseret News
“Top 50 Companies to Work for in Utah” list, Ultradent was born from young dentist Dan Fisher’s need for a product to control bleeding in the mouths of his patients. The company now has a growing line of products to help dentists improve the lives and health of patients. Ultradent is a company for people who want to be involved in the manufacturing, product research and development, and sales side of healthcare.
- One of 12 Utah businesses honored by the Salt Lake Tribune
for “providing employee training, promoting new ideas and encouraging balance between work and life.” Honored for Direction, TruHearing works to find affordable hearing aids for people. TruHearing employs sales agents/hearing consultants, accountants, health insurance claims specialists, and QA engineers.
One More Company with Employees across the Spectrum of Healthcare Degrees
- With 37,000 employees, 22 hospitals, and more than 185 clinics in Utah and Idaho and four hospitals on the Truven Health Analytics 2017 list of "100 Top Hospitals," IHC has all the jobs you need for a career in healthcare. Whether you want to be a doctor, nurse, x-ray technician, or administrator, there’s a place for you. IHC even has an insurance division called SelectHealth.
Utah is a great place to launch a career in healthcare, and Stevens-Henager College
is a great place to earn a healthcare degree. Whether you want to work as a nurse, respiratory therapist, surgical technologist, administrator, or nurse educator, Stevens-Henager has the healthcare degrees from Associate’s to Master’s to help you along the way. Programs vary by campus. Give us a call today